Why is it important?
The harsh environments seen in oil and gas exploration demand high quality and dependable fasteners safeguard against the release of hydrocarbons into the atmosphere. The importance of bolting, which is largely viewed as a commodity item is commonly overlooked and the potential consequences of bolting failures is not well understood.
Compliance to API 20E and 20F cannot be “inspected into” commercially produced products post-manufacturing. Nexus manufactures to bolting specification levels (BSL) to BSL-1 and BSL-2. Bolting specification level (BSL) in 20E and 20F defines the increasing levels of severity in the application being used and the rigorous controls required in technical, supply chain management, testing and qualification processes.
What sets the product apart from commercial bolting?
- Material – Extensive evaluation and monitoring of our raw material suppliers.
- Supply Chain – Suppliers performing processes on 20E and 20F bolting are expected to maintain rigorous quality standards, and to ensure this Nexus performs onsite technical audits to monitor their compliance.
- Laboratory Testing – All metallurgical and mechanical testing completed by the raw material supplier must be re-tested by an ISO/IEC 17025 accredited laboratory.
- Marking & Traceability – heat lot traceability maintained and BSL Level, material grade and API license number identified on all parts and/or packaging.
- Change Management – All suppliers and process control equipment used must be well documented and controlled in qualifying a bolt to API 20E or 20F. When there is a change in the supply chain or manufacturing process that could affect the quality or integrity of the product it must be re-qualified by having all inspection and testing including independent lab testing re-performed.
Where is it used?
API 20E and 20F compliant Bolting is now mandatory for many products being manufactured to API Specifications. These products include:
- Surface Trees
- Subsea Well Heads and Trees
- Drill Through Equipment
- Blow Out Preventers
- Choke & Kill Manifolds
- Well Head Connectors
- Drilling Risers
- Subsea Pipelines
- Production Risers, Jumpers and Gas Export Equipment
- High Pressure/High Temperature (HP/HT) Equipment
March 19, 2021